A long break from sewing over Easter but I am back in business now with a borrowed camera. Last time I said I was nearly out of white fabric to finish the piano key border. After another frantic search through the scrap box I turned up these.
They are the cuffs from one of my old shirts. Most of the shirt has now been turned into log cabin blocks and piano keys. Each cuff is double thickness so, between them, there is quite a bit of fabric here. The middle piece of fabric is in fact bias cut interfacing so it will not be used in the quilt. I will save it just in case it can be used for something else at some point. The dark line on the fabric nearest the camera is actually the table showing through a very worn strip.
The cuff has yielded five more piano keys for the border. I could only get two out of the piece with the worn strip. I pressed and spray starched the fabric before cutting out the piano keys.
I have one more cuff to "process" and if I run short again I still have the collar as a last resort.
This is how I have decided to solve the problem of my corner stones.
I am happy with this effect. It feels like these are going together more easily than mitred corners (which I used on my first ever quilt) and I like the way that the stepped strips continue as a variation on the log cabin theme.
I am setting myself the personal target of having this quilt top finished by the weekend.